SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework
The SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework is a unifying initiative that aims to deliver fast results at an increased scale. It is part of the UN Secretary-General’s Decade of Action to deliver the SDGs by 2030. Action is driven by five accelerators: financing; data and information; capacity development; innovation; and, governance.
As a part of the United Nations Secretary-General’s Decade of Action to deliver the SDGs by 2030, the SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework unifies the support to countries to deliver fast results at an increased scale. It mobilizes UN agencies, governments, civil society, private sector, and other stakeholders around five cross-cutting and interdependent ‘accelerators’:
- Financing - Optimized financing is essential to get resources behind country plans.
- Data and information - Data and information targets resources and measures progress.
- Capacity development - A better-skilled workforce improves service levels and increases job creation and retention in the water sector.
- Innovation - New, smart practices and technologies will improve water and sanitation resources management and service delivery.
- Governance - Collaboration across boundaries and sectors will make SDG 6 everyone’s business.
Country engagement is at the core of the SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework in order to mobilize a coordinated response to countries and enable better engagement across all stakeholders and sectors. Learn more about UN-Water’s country engagement here.
To unify the international community’s support to countries and accelerate progress on SDG 6, UN-Water Members’ and Partners’ inter-agency initiatives include: Integrated Monitoring Initiative for SDG 6, SDG 6 Capacity Development Initiative, Roadmap for the human rights to water and sanitation, Hand Hygiene for All initiative, Water and Climate Coalition, World Water Quality Alliance, among others.
To take stock of progress on the SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework, an annual high-level and multi-stakeholder SDG 6 Special Event is organized at the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development. The process allows the international community to learn quickly from both failure and success in order to quickly adapt to changing realities.
The SDG Acceleration Action platform records and shares actions to capture progress and manage the knowledge generated by the SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework. Register your SDG 6 acceleration actions here.
Get in touch to learn more: [email protected]
mentioning [SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework] in the subject heading.